Best Friends

 The last week leading up to the end of the school year, I was an emotional mess. Truth be told I'm still not 100% yet. 

Goodbyes are cruel. 

In the fall, when I started back to work full-time for the first time in 13 years I never thought I would feel this way at the end of the year. My students became a piece of my heart. One student, in particular, became a favorite of mine mid-year. It's my understanding that her home life isn't the best, and at school her behaviors can be extreme. So when I heard her use negative self-talk I started repeating positive truths to her, "you are beautiful," "you are a good friend," "you are smart." I also started to pray for her on my way to school. I think it was in January she started telling me that she loved me. Sometimes, she would just randomly announce it from across the classroom. When she was upset I would just speak to her a quieter tone and a lot of the times she calmed down. The students in my classroom have an autistic diagnosis. Most of them do not have "friends." My favorite student though, loves swinging with the other girl in the classroom. She talks about her non-stop. She wants to know her location at all times. The other girl in the classroom makes her laugh with a laugh that can only be described as pure joy. They are "best friends."

The other student is moving on next year. I will miss her greatly! The last day of school my tears were not for the loss of that student but rather for the loss of that friendship. Oh how great a loss.

_________________________

What is the best friend?

How rare and wonderful that unexpected moment when somebody comes into your life and completely changes it. When conversation flows so easily. When all you want to do is share life with them. When you find that special friend who encourages you and builds you up. Someone who shares your values and gets your humor. Someone who feels like sunshine. Don't let them go. 

Best friends are rare.


(The above picture is if the "minions" another one of my students created)

0 comments: